Time for another NBA on TNT doubleheader! This time the Brooklyn Nets host the Chicago Bulls at 4:30 p.m. PDT, followed by the Phoenix Suns hosting the Minnesota Timberwolves at 7:00 p.m. PDT. Let’s take a look at where to put your money.
As always, we’ll start the early match.
Chi Spread: +1 (-110) Money Line: +100
Spread BKN: -1 (-110) Cash Line: -120
Things to consider…
1) The Nets split from coach Steve Nash. Jack Vaughn has been appointed interim coach. Either the Nets will use the training change as fuel for tonight’s game or they will continue the downward spiral they have been on since the start of the season.
2) While the nets defend their home ground, they also play the second half of a straight match. Superstars Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving played 82 minutes on Monday and may not have rested yet in another potentially stressful match. That’s a particular concern for Chicago, which includes Zach Lavigne and Demar DeRozan, who are both fierce strikers.
2) Bulls remain without point guard Lonzo Ball (knee) who is still not close to returning. This means we should continue to see the extended minutes of Ayo Dosunmu instead. This, of course, if playing Dosunmu. He missed Saturday’s game with a chest contusion and it is doubtful if he will play tonight. If he’s sitting too, look for Goran Dragic and Alex Caruso to take on a bigger role.
3) Each team struggled hard to start their 2022-23 campaign. The Bulls (3-4) have lost the last two games and should have a hard time taking one down the road. The nets (2-5) just cut the jam in four games by defeating the Indiana Pacers. Neither of them should be dominating this match, and neither of them can keep slipping.
Home Takeaway: The Nets are likely to take this game because they are healthy and play at home, but they haven’t done much to instill confidence in the betting community lately. Whether or not you roll with them should depend on whether you think their stars have enough gas (and tenacity) to put in the winning streak effort.
Now let’s look at the late game.
Minimum Spread: +3.5 (115) Money: +140
PHO Spread: -3.5 (-105) Money: -165
Things to consider…
1) Deandre Ayton will miss this match as he continues to recover from a left ankle sprain. Although the Suns are a favorite here, this should be a bit of a ballpark. The Minnesota frontal area of Karl-Anthony Towns and Rudy Gobert is one of the strongest players in the NBA, both in terms of attack and defense. Not having an Ayton cruising around in the paint means that these two should be able to contribute at a higher level than usual. Instead of Ayton, Bismack Piombo can get another start.
2) The Suns have lost only one game this season to the Portland Trail Blazers 5-1. They are red hot entering this, having won four in a row by an average margin of nearly 20 points. Even without Ayton, they are the favorites to defend on their turf for good reason.
Home Takeaway: If you’re going to bet on the underdog today, Timberwolves deserve a tough look because of the individuals. However, the Suns are a well-trained and well-designed squad that should be able to cover Ayton’s absence admirably. Look for Suns to (likely) win a nearby (possible) contest.
paying off DraftKings Sportsbookthe official sports book SB Nation partner.