More than 300 enzyme processes in the human body involve magnesium, making it a vital element. Among its various roles are boosting the immune system, controlling blood pressure, and aiding muscle and nerve function. The human skeleton stores 50-60% of the 25 g of magnesium carried by the adult body. Muscles, soft tissues, and body fluids contain the remainder.
Despite the fact that deficiency symptoms are rare in healthy people, most individuals do not receive enough magnesium in their diets. People should strive to reach the prescribed daily levels of magnesium because doctors associate magnesium deficiency with a number of health problems. In this article, we discuss the many reasons why you should add more magnesium to your diet.
8 amazing health benefits of magnesium
1. Enhances exercise performance
Depending on the activity, you may need more magnesium during exercise than you need during rest. Magnesium helps remove lactate, which can build up during exercise and lead to fatigue, as well as the movement of blood sugar into your muscles. According to studies, taking magnesium supplements may help older adults and others with magnesium deficiency perform better during physical activity.
2. Improves bone health
Magnesium is essential for good bone production, although the majority of the study focused on the importance of calcium for bone health. According to research, consuming enough magnesium is associated with increased bone crystal formation, increased bone density, and a decreased risk of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Since it helps control levels of calcium and vitamin D, two essential minerals essential for bone health, magnesium may, directly and indirectly, promote bone health.
Also Read: 10 Food Sources of Magnesium Other than Pumpkin Seeds You Should Know
3. Enhances sleep quality
Supplemental magnesium is often used as a homeopathic remedy for sleep disorders such as insomnia. This is because magnesium controls a number of sleep-related neurotransmitters, including gamma-aminobutyric acid. Magnesium supplementation was found to reduce the time it took patients to fall asleep in a study of older adults with insomnia.
4. Helps balance blood sugar
According to studies, nearly half of people with type 2 diabetes have low amounts of magnesium in their blood, which can make it difficult for the body to effectively control blood sugar levels. Furthermore, studies show that those who take in additional magnesium have a reduced chance of developing type 2 diabetes. One analysis found that magnesium supplementation improves insulin sensitivity, an important aspect of blood sugar regulation.
Read also: Understand the role of magnesium in the body
5. Prevents and improves diabetes
High-magnesium diets have been associated in studies with a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes. This may be the result of magnesium’s significant contribution to insulin and glucose regulation. Insulin resistance is a condition that often develops before type 2 diabetes, and a magnesium deficiency can exacerbate it. On the other hand, low magnesium levels may result from insulin resistance.
6. Helps the biochemical actions of the body
You have magnesium everywhere in your body. In fact, this mineral is present and necessary for the functioning of every cell in your body. Your body contains 60% of the magnesium found in your bones, while the remaining 40% is found in muscles, soft tissues, and body fluids such as blood. One of its primary functions is to act as a cofactor, or cofactor molecule, in the biochemical activities that enzymes continuously perform. Over 600 bodily reactions depend on it.
7. Reduces migraines
In addition to being painful, migraines often lead to symptoms including nausea, vomiting, light sensitivity, and noise sensitivity. According to some experts, migraine sufferers are more likely than the general population to have a magnesium deficiency. In fact, a number of studies suggest that taking magnesium supplements may help prevent and manage migraines.
Read also: Magnesium deficiency: 6 signs that your body is not getting enough magnesium
8. Improves heart health
Magnesium is necessary to keep your heart strong and healthy. In fact, research shows that taking supplements strong in magnesium can help lower high blood pressure, which can be a risk factor for heart disease. In a different study, higher magnesium consumption was associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease, attack, and hypertension.
Now that you understand the importance of getting enough magnesium, make sure you consume it adequately along with other healthy foods and nutrients.
Disclaimer: This content including tips provides general information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
Jharkhand Chief Minister H Surin summoned tomorrow in mining fraud case