Tuesday, November 1, was the start of the championship season on Clemson coach Dabo Sweeney’s mind. There’s an ACC Division title, an ACC Championship, and a state title to be contested in the coming weeks, and Swinney said his team is in a good place emerging from their Open week.
First, a trip to South Bend and a battle with Notre Dame. The 5 seeded Tigers are 8-0 with the country’s longest winning streak at 14. Saturday’s win would also complete an unbeaten road schedule for the Tigers who are 34-4 away from their home country since 2015, the best record in the country in that period. .
Clemson has won four out of six encounters with the Irishman, most recently in the 2020 ACC Championship game winning the Tigers 34-10 to avenge a loss earlier in the season at South Bend. That loss ended the Tigers’ regular-season winning streak of 36 games. Notre Dame will enter Saturday’s game in a 26-game winning streak of the regular season.
Some key comments from Dabo Sweeney
- It’s been a good week off for them 12 weeks off work good reset everyone it’s November 1 and it’s good to be in the position they are in they’ve fought all year to get to this point far from perfect but have found ways to win matches that’s a skill .
- Health-wise, they are in a good place to go at this point in the season.
- Notre Dame is a really good team, Freeman has done a good job of leveling it out after two tough losses, and it shows the kind of leader he manages in his squad and squad.
- Notre Dame injured, midfielder, receiver, upset. They suffered heavy losses early on but settled in, won five of six, Ben settled into the quarterback, and have three big guys in the running.
- Notre Dame is a very physical group, all three running defenders can hit you, they have a good set of receivers, they have play style and you are either ready for it or not, you can’t give them a short field chance so you can’t suffer from a spin.
- Notre Dame defense well trained, in a good position, physical mentality, doing a good job in the back end, three top players, a lot of experience. Excellent gambler and kicker.
- You have to stop running to stand a chance against Notre Dame, they are creative in how they access their strength formations, and they have a good package.
- Notre Dame has stopped a kick in three straight games and five games this season, and they’ll be on high alert for that.
- Expecting Uiagalelei to recover from a bad day against Syracuse, he has shown throughout the season that he can recover from a bad play or a bad outing.
- LB Barrett Carter will be back from concussion and that’s important because he’s a great player. It makes a huge difference with defense.
- The week off was a good one for Shipley, as he feels they have done a good job managing the workload.
- He feels that they have three elite backs in Shipley, Mafah and Pace and feel that all three will play in the NFL one day.
- Xavier Thomas keeps moving forward looking to have November and post-season, as is Bresee.
- They haven’t played a full match yet, they’ve had moments and quarters, and the next thing for them is to put everything together and play neatly.
- A little interest in releasing the CFP rating tonight, it doesn’t matter, wouldn’t matter unless they were telling them where they were playing in the post-season tonight.