Vice President Kamala Harris speaks at the National Baptist Convention on September 8, 2022 in Houston, Texas.

Brandon Bell | Getty Images

A spokesperson for the agency said Wednesday night that Vice President Kamala Harris was involved in Monday’s motorcade incident, which Secret Service commanders were initially told was a “mechanical malfunction.”

The spokesman, Anthony Guglielmi, said the accident occurred when the car carrying Harris over-corrected and hit a curb.

“During a precautionary move on Monday, a car in a motorcade underwent a slight correction and hit a barrier,” Gullelmi said. “protected [Harris] to a secondary vehicle and the procession proceeded to its destination. No one was injured.”

The Washington Post was the first to report the incident.

Guglielmi said radio traffic surrounding the incident, which was reported to agency leaders by personnel supporting the motorcade, initially indicated a mechanical failure.

“After the protective action was completed, the leadership was orally informed of additional relevant facts that the vehicle had hit a barrier,” he said.

A source familiar with the accident told NBC News that Harris was traveling to work at the White House in her motorcade when the car she was traveling in cut off a raised curb with its rear wheel and was disabled.

The source said the motorcade stalling was a “big no-no for us” and that Harris was quickly transferred to the replacement car. The source said that her previous car was traveling at a high speed of about 50 miles per hour on city streets.

When the motorcade reached the White House, the medical office checked Harris to make sure she was fine, the source added.

Harris’ press secretary, Kirsten Allen, confirmed the incident on Wednesday.

“The Vice President was not harmed by any injuries and appreciates the rapid response by the USSS detailing her safe passage to the White House,” Allen said in a statement.

The Secret Service’s miscommunication comes at a time when the agency is already under fire for how it handled internal communications in the past.

The agency has been scrutinized for what appears to be the erasure of text messages surrounding the January 6 riots at the Capitol last year. After the Department of Homeland Security’s inspector general launched an investigation, top Secret Service leaders confiscated the cell phones of 24 agents to give them for surveillance.

Guglielmi said Wednesday that there would be no disciplinary action after the motorcade incident.

“We’re proud of the details,” he told NBC News. “How they handled this was exactly as it should have.”

Asked about previous cases that have put the Secret Service in the headlines, Guglielmi said: “This is not an issue of misconduct at all.”

Leave a Reply