A senior official said the preliminary investigation into the accident, which injured two artists after a giant screen fell during a concert by popular Hong Kong boy band Mirror, is expected to be completed within two weeks.
The screen fell from a height during Thursday’s live Mirror show and collided with two dancers, one of whom remains in critical condition in intensive care. The second artist was discharged from the hospital on Friday.
Speaking on RTHK Monday morning, Culture, Sports and Tourism Minister Kevin Young said that various government departments are investigating the incident.
On Sunday, about 40 people from Hong Kong Police, Government Laboratory, Department of Electrical and Mechanical Services, Ministry of Labor and Department of Leisure and Cultural Services (LCSD) went to the Hong Kong Coliseum – where the Mirror chain has now been disqualified. 12 concerts were held – to collect evidence.
Young said the police would look into whether human negligence or criminal responsibilities played a role.
In addition, the Department of Labor was investigating whether the employer had properly protected employee safety, while the LCSD was looking into the cause of the accident as well as finding ways to improve safety performance in the future. The Hong Kong Coliseum is managed by LCSD.
The Bureau of Culture, Sports and Tourism announced in a statement Sunday that a task force led by the LCSD Assistant Director to investigate the incident will hold its first meeting on Monday.
West Kowloon Crime Unit Director Alan Chung told reporters outside the Colosseum on Sunday afternoon that no conclusions had been reached yet, and he expected the investigation to take some time because it is relatively complex.
“There is only one goal – to rebuild the truth,” Chung said.
Young echoed what the supervisor had said, saying that the probe would take time, because it should be based on facts and science. “Hopefully, in a week or two, there will be some preliminary findings about the causes of the accident,” he told RTHK.
Last Friday, Young said that a preliminary investigation revealed that one of the steel cables connected to the large video screen had broken. He added that it was “too early” to know who was responsible.
A number of people and parties involved in the Mirror concerts have been identified, with many refusing to comment on the incident or denying their participation.
On Monday – four days after the incident – party producer Lam Ho-yeon, also known as “Fran 9”, apologized to the injured dancers, their families, other artists and the public in a statement posted on his Instagram. the account.
Lam said it was inappropriate for him to make any comment at this time, but he “had no intention of evading responsibility”.
The concerts’ main organizers, Music Nation Group and MakerVille, said in a statement Friday that they had contacted all relevant parties to “conduct a thorough investigation” into the incident. They said they would “immediately inform the police” if any suspicious elements or inappropriate actions were detected.
According to the final credits for live shows, mechanical engineering was outsourced to Hip Hing Loong Stage Engineering Company Limited, while stage engineering was handled by Art Design and Production Limited. Meanwhile, the optical equipment was supplied by In Technical Productions.
Art Design and Production Limited said in a statement that it had nothing to do with the incident.
A statement from In Technical Productions said it was not involved in the production of the wires and structures from which the giant screens were suspended, or the operation of its mechanical engineering.
Hip Hing Loong Stage Engineering Company Limited said the wires and machinery associated with the suspended screens were “produced and supplied” by the suppliers designated by the main contractor – Engineering Impact Limited.
Engineering Impact Ltd said in a statement on Saturday that it could not disclose any information because the incident was still under investigation. She said that the design and production of the collection included “various units.”
Right to work concerns
Speaking on the same RTHK radio program as Yeung, Yip Chan of the Hong Kong Federation of Performing Arts Practitioners said the incident reflects the problems the dancers are facing.
Chan said Hong Kong dancers suffered from weak bargaining power and it was difficult for them to fight unreasonable arrangements.
He said the full experience of the Mirror Concerts in question had been delayed several times because the mechanics weren’t prepared in time. “Who decided to run the show as scheduled and not skip, say, the first two shows, to deal with safety issues?” Chan asked.
He added that there are cases in which dancers have been included in the “black list” by the organizers and lost opportunities after claiming damages from injury.
Chan called for the creation of a union for dancers and the implementation of guidelines on their working conditions.
Faye Siu, CEO of the Association for the Rights of Work Accident Victims, also spoke about the same program, saying that she believes the dancers at the Mirror Party are self-employed, which means they are not covered by employee compensation. decree.
Seo said that unless a party comes forward as the employer, there will be an investigation by the Ministry of Labor or even legal action to prove that the dancers were actually employed.
She added that it could take years for the injured to receive compensation if they choose to file civil lawsuits.
Meanwhile, 23 dancers who participated in the Mirror shows said they had not made any crowdfunding efforts on behalf of their injured co-workers. In a statement on Sunday, they urged the public not to trust any related crowdfunding calls or anonymous comments claiming to be one of the performers.
Visiting my injured dancer father
The parents of the seriously injured dancer returned to Hong Kong from Canada on Saturday. They temporarily left the quarantine hotel and visited their son on Monday morning after being allowed to do so by the Ministry of Health.
During a regular COVID-19 briefing on Friday, Chuang Shuk Kwan, of the Center for Health Protection, said authorities have allowed humanitarian visits for returnees to Hong Kong in urgent matters related to family members.
HKFP . support | Code of Ethics | Error/typo? | Contact us | Newsletter | Transparency and annual report